Stay | Escape | Create
Stay | Escape | Create
Potato Head Studios – the latest addition to Desa Potato Head, designed in partnership with David Gianotten at OMA, the Dutch practice founded by Rem Koolhaas – opens to the public on 15 July. More than a place to stay, it’s a creative centre with spaces dedicated to sustainability, cultural immersion and the arts. Potato Head Studios is the crown jewel of the Desa (village in Indonesian), 10 years in the making, designed to re-shape how people experience hospitality.
Come July, there will be two ways for international travellers to stay at Potato Head Studios. One option is to stay as a short-term guest and the other is to become a resident and create, regenerate and re-balance in the Desa for as long as you like. The idea behind the residencies is to immerse people in a new world – giving them long-term, all-inclusive access to beach-side energy, co-working spaces, cultural connections, inspiring people, and space to unwind, work and understand Bali (and perhaps themselves) in a whole new way. There are options for smaller rooms, rooms with stunning ocean views or even rooms with adjoining offices. A private conference room has been prepared for calls and meetings; breakfast is included every day.
Following Indonesia’s introduction of business travel visas, allowing visitors to come from overseas for 6 months, there has never been a better time to ‘Work from Paradise’.
Every experience on offer at Potato Head Studios has been carefully crafted by the community, for the community. Among them are sustainability workshops for adults and children at Sustainism Lab, Potato Head’s own streaming station, Headstream, which is set to broadcast talks and music programs from local artists and rising stars 12 hours a day, and Studio Eksotika – a curated library, listening lounge and co-working centre on the mezzanine floor. The entire building is fitted-out with local, sustainable materials, as well as art pieces, ceramics, textiles and basketry from small-scale makers on the island. They wrap around a vast creative courtyard which leads to an amphitheatre for modern and traditional arts, a palm-lined swimming pool and, eventually, the sand, surf and sensational sunsets of Petitenget Beach.
Other guest activities range from beach cleaning to Balinese prayers, morning yoga, in-room IV treatments, access to the gym and workshops at Sustainism Lab and our new regenerative farming workshop, Sweet Potato Project, which was created by our staff during the pandemic. Those looking for a further tune-out can hit the spa or dive into the culinary offerings of Tanaman or the Beach Club, Pizza Garden, Kaum and Ijen.
Whether you opt to stay for a long time or a short time, escapism is guaranteed.
Health and safety, of course, has been taken into careful consideration for all visitors to the Desa. There’s a doctor on call 24/7, PCR tests can be conducted in-house and brand-new hygiene and sanitation protocols designed in line with the latest WHO recommendations are in place for staff and guests alike.
Bookings can be made over the phone, via email and online – keep reading for details. See you at the Desa.
ROOM AND RESIDENCY OPTIONS
• Short term stays from IDR 2,500,000 / £125 GBP per night
• Long-term stays from IDR 35,000,000/ £1,700 GBP per month
INCLUSIONS AND EXPERIENCES
• Tune-in and tune-out from the comfort of your room
• In-room zero-waste and safety kit
• Daily breakfast
• Access to the library and co-working facilities at Studio Eksotika
• Private conference room for calls and meetings
• Circle Store – a space to refill your in-room zero-waste amenities, so that you can leave your disposable toiletries at home.
• Daily medicinal tonics from the Djamu Bar Morning yoga
• Spa and 24-hour gym
• In-room IV treatments from The Dose
• Regenerative gardening and farming workshops
• Sustainability workshops for adults and kids at Sustainism Lab
• The Womb – an installation by local artist Nano Uhero at the entrance to the Desa – which houses Sustainism Lab, the Record store and our new broadcasting station, Headstream.
• Balinese prayers and offering-making
• 24-hour doctor service
• In-house PCR test